301.340.2898

Vet Clinic

(Fort Leavenworth, KS)


The historic Vet Clinic renewal was completed as part of our Joint Venture with Donley Construction.  Originally constructed in 1893, over 15,000 SF of building area was renewed. Half of the building required renovations to the Vet Clinic operations and the remaining building space required furnishing an area for the Regional Vet Command Administration. To expedite the building’s renewal, a transition space was constructed with other function temporarily migrating to another building on base. A/E firm Ross & Baruzzini, Inc. led the design effort for this building.

To maintain the historical appearance of the building, tuck-pointing of all the exterior brick façade was performed where it was failing. At numerous locations around the exterior, horseshoes were embedded around the exterior brick to pay homage to the building’s original function as a horse stable.The exterior of the building consisted of the original brick from 1893. The Vet Clinic’s exterior doors and frames were also replaced, and building handicap accessible entrances built. The original brick exterior and windows were restored to maintain it’s historical integrity.

Within the interior, the existing wood joists remained to keep the building’s charm intact. All new architectural, mechanical, and electrical systems were provided. The Vet Clinic was then provided with new finishes and a new roof. The main level now houses a reception with separate canine and feline waiting space, records room, and restrooms. Three exam rooms, a military working dog exam room, an X-ray suite, and an Operating Suite with operating room, animal prep, scrub and instrument prep was also built. Finally, a recovery area with a dedicated canine and feline space and an isolation anteroom were constructed for post-operation. The second level houses the Veterinary Command and the Food Inspection Department with offices and a conference area.